Well, y’all, I’m officially a California resident! I haven’t even been here a week, but already I’ve been hard at work. Among other things, I built my very first standing desk out of IKEA furniture! All the cool kids call it an IKEA hack – it makes me feel smart and awesome.
And I’m gonna show y’all how to do it!
I started working with the Expedite Standing Desk design from IKEA Hackers, but soon realized that I wasn’t tall enough, so I made a few modifications – my very own IKEA hack. A standing desk for the rest of us (shorter people)!
Full disclosure: I’m 5’6″, so not really short for a girl.
It took me about two hours to build the desk, including my mini-freak-out and glorious aha moment when I realized the desk was too tall and then figured out how to fix it. Because I’m an IKEA genius! (insert evil laugh)
So here it is from start to finish, how to convert a few IKEA boxes into a genuine IKEA hack standing desk.
IKEA Hack: Standing Desk
- 2 2×2 IKEA Expedit shelving unit (801.352.98, $40 each)
- 2 5×1 IKEA Expedit shelving unit (201.162.74, $60 each)
- 1 4″ IKEA Capita Leg 4-pack (200.545.63, $12 each)
- Allen wrench (comes with IKEA furniture)
- Phillips head screwdriver
1. Build the 2×2 Expedite shelving units according to the IKEA directions. Do not mount them to a wall. Instead, place them about four feet apart facing each other. These will be the “legs” of your desk.
2. Build one of the 5×1 Expedite shelving units according to the package directions and lay it across the 2×1 shelving units.
3. Adjust the 2×1 units to line up with the outside of the 5×1 unit. Then take one of the long boards from the second 5×1 unit and lay it across the two shelving units in front of the completed 5×1 shelving unit.
4. Take the other long board from the remaining 5×1 shelving unit, and attach the four Capita legs to one side.
5. Place the board with the legs on top of the other board. If you’d like, add a laptop stand.
Voila! A giant standing desk that will hold just about anything. I also got a tall stool so I can alternate between sitting and standing during the day. Even paying for delivery, the whole thing came out under $300. With most standing desks ranging from $800-$2,000, I thought this was a bargain!
What’s your position on the standing desk: overhyped or healthy choice? Do you have a standing desk? What do you think?